Follonica district covers an area of just over 55 square kilometers, extending from the shores of the Tyrrhenian Sea, bathed by the waters of the Gulf of Follonica.
As a town, Follonica is young, his date of birth coincides with the construction of the Royal and Imperial Foundries wanted by Leopold II of Tuscany in 1834. But as a resort and landing place, Fullona was mentioned for the first time in 1038 in an act of donation of the abbey land of Sestinga, a religious center in the vicinity of Vetulonia, owner of a large part of the Alta Maremma. The supporting document and that surely refers to the current, it is the successful completion of a 1312 grain trading at the mouth of Fullona.
In 1399 the area of the town became part of the lordship of Piombino, following the events until 1815. In the 70 years of the fifteenth century, Jacopo III Appiani rebuilt, expanding, the old coastal tower. In the first half of the sixteenth century, James VI Appiani he planted the metalliferous foundries, by building a jetty.
Throughout the medieval and modern times it will always remain a small coastal village devoid of walled fortifications, but the first mention of ‘watchtower.
The history of Follonica is mainly linked in ancient times that of the Castello di Valli, whose ruins still stand out in the north of the city on a hill overlooking the Gulf and whose first historical track you even in 884: it is undoubtedly the only town until 1834 when in fact, around the foundry, he began to develop the village, however, until 1838, was under the jurisdiction of Valli. Since that year, he began the Follonica rise in tandem with the economic and cultural importance which were assuming its foundries, in a process that made the modern city; leopolda fact the foundry at the time was the second largest foundry in Europe and did business with all the cities.
According to ISTAT figures at 31 December 2010, the foreign population was 1,638 people. The nationalities most represented according to their percentage of the total resident population were:
- Ukraine, 407 to 1.84%
- Romania, 382 to 1.73%
- Albania, 253 to 1.14%
Follonica has a great tourist tradition. Starting in the sixties, with the largest population growth, Follonica has started to attract tourists. The natural location in the center of the gulf, opposite the island of Elba guarantees a safe sea and with a slow slope. Follonica is also the natural outlet to the sea of Arezzo and Siena. The city in summer quintupled its inhabitants accepting because in addition to the tourists that populate the hotels and campsites, the people of holidaymakers who have to Follonica their second home.